The Heidelberg Health Center, where General George S. Patton Jr. died on December 21, 1945 has been closed for restructure of the hospital facilities. The memorabilia that had been hanging on the wall outside Patton's room in an elegant glass presentation case was returned to the Patton family represented by Helen Patton at the Patton Stiftung: Sustainable Trust in Saarbrücken.
Col. Crosland handed over the memorabilia to Helen Patton in an informal ceremony at the headquarters of the Trust on March 9th 2012. Helen Patton is shown here at the presentation with Col. Crosland, Cpt. Johnson and Sgt. Huerta. Helen was pleased to add this to other interesting memorabilia held by the Stiftung, which now includes a chair, a desk, a grandfather clock, a riding crop, and a rare photograph and a Peace sign that his son wore beneath his uniform during the Viet Nam war.
The presentation case and plaque were dedicated by Patton's son after the General's untimely death and has been regarded with great interest by visitors and patients at the facility. The hospital room where he died was used for radiology and many passed by the case on their way there and stopped to read about the famous general. Colonel Throckmorton "The Rock" of Patton's 3rd Army was a patient there in the late '90's and instigated an annual ceremony whereby all staff paused for a time of reflection. It was in the spirit of utmost respect for a charismatic leader that the handover took place and ended with a breakfast at the Stiftung donated and prepared by Bindian Salar (a dear friend of the Stiftung from Iraqi Kurdistan) who was pleased to thank our men and women in Service in this humble way.
The officers were also shown our current exhibition "Portraits of Service" - a theme of considerable interest to serving Army personnel.